Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finally Finished...

5 posters

Go down

Finally Finished... Empty Finally Finished...

Post by Alcatraz Tue 27 Jan 2009, 11:27 am

Over the past 3 years, I have played this game. And I don't like to brag, and I'm not going to spar against you, but I've become damn good at it. I remember a time when I'd get 100 random invites a day just because people missclicked while trying to inspect my gear. The time has come though.

I've decided to cancel my WoW account. As much as it upsets me to do so, I have more important things to take care of.

The majority of you know, that I started doing an online schooling program at home in order to finish my last two years of high school in one, and more than likely move in with J1NX. This game is slowly but surely preventing that. I find myself with a lack of willpower to at times say, "Fuck this, I should be studying." The worst part is that it's not like WoW was a drug. I wasn't doing crystal meth, I didn't pick up cocaine, It was a GAME. I lost myself to a game!

This morning, I woke up with the most terrible migraine I have had in about 10 years. My head, a boulder, its power, a lightning strike. So severe in fact, that I could do nothing but close my eyes, take some medicine, and think. I thought about the past two schools I have been at. I had everything. Not in the literal sense of everything... but damn it, I was close!

I was Valedictorian at the first school, I knew everyone, everyone knew me. I could get pretty much anything done there I needed. People owed me favors! I had the father of my friend, Stephen, tell me hed do anything for me. (I had made it so his star athlete son didn't fail.)

I was in national honor society at the second, I was in the top band as well. Had a bunch of friends who were always there to have my back. Hell, at the awards ceremony they gave at the end of the year, only 20 Sophomores out of the entire 1100 kids in my class got an award. I got 6.

The point behind this reminiscing? I gave it up. I gave it all up. The first one wasn't so much my fault (family had to move, etc. etc.), but the second was completely to be blamed on me. And what did I give it up for? No, it wasn't all WoW, but fawk, it was the majority.

Please don't do what I would have done if you would have quit.... "Come back!". Cause honestly, I really want to, and it's a spur of the moment break from the grip this damned gamn has on me.

If you read all this, Thanks. Much appreciated.

~Alcatraz

P.S. To those of you I play with on WoW, im still gonna hang on vent, cause I have to talk to you somehow lol. And yes, I probably will be back eventually, but not until I am finished with this schooling, and I am positive im living with J1NX. Await Ragnarok, for it comes, whether you like it or not.
Alcatraz
Alcatraz
Digital God
Digital God

Finally Finished... 6
Number of posts : 1477
Experience : 13010
Rep : 8

Character sheet
Name: Mordrid Grey
Primary Weapon:
Power Level:
Finally Finished... Left_bar_bleue27/99Finally Finished... Empty_bar_bleue  (27/99)

Back to top Go down

Finally Finished... Empty Re: Finally Finished...

Post by 0pp0siti0n Tue 27 Jan 2009, 11:48 am

First thing that came to mind. A quote from Mr. Luthor "There comes a time when even gods must die." Seems to fit the situation. Good for you, it takes a wise man to see his flaws, and it takes a hell of a lot of willpower to fix them.
0pp0siti0n
0pp0siti0n
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Finally Finished... 6
Number of posts : 645
Experience : 12188
Rep : 1

Character sheet
Name: Eden
Primary Weapon:
Power Level:
Finally Finished... Left_bar_bleue5/99Finally Finished... Empty_bar_bleue  (5/99)

Back to top Go down

Post by Alcatraz Tue 27 Jan 2009, 2:01 pm

Oh and btw, I cant believe I just though of this but... if you guys do make your own guild D, you should totally call it 'Flawless Victory'.

Just my personal opinion.

Also, when I canceled my account a little while ago, I nearly died laughing, because they have like these 4 pages of things to basically tell you why you shouldnt quit, or ask why you are quitting.

And they have a full bar of reasons for quitting... one of which happens to be 'Will of the Forsaken' nerf... LOL!

They had all this crazy stuff that I hear people QQ about all the time.
Alcatraz
Alcatraz
Digital God
Digital God

Finally Finished... 6

Character sheet
Primary Weapon:
Power Level:
Finally Finished... Left_bar_bleue27/99Finally Finished... Empty_bar_bleue  (27/99)

Back to top Go down

Post by J1NX Tue 27 Jan 2009, 2:53 pm

Everyone needs a break eventually. Everyone needs time away from the real world that they have had to deal with in between the fun. The one thing that only recovering addicts and ex-gamers can tell you is, the road home at the end of the day is always a cold one.

Most gamers become gamers, not so much because they enjoy playing games as much as they enjoy not being a part of the numerous other unhappy things in life. Sometimes it's family problems, sometimes it's social fears and sometimes it's because of a lack of motivation. When you get sick you find yourself looking for a cure, whether its through pills, bed rest or chicken soup, and likewise when you are emotionally sick you look for something as well.

Games, MMO's especially, help with the emotional needs that some people have. They give you people to talk to that you never have to worry about getting too close to, people to hang out with that at the hint of a fight you can ignore and an ability to have a status that could sometimes reach beyond your normal social status. It can be the perfect life if you are willing to give up on the real world entirely to make it yours.

There is one fatal flaw in the equation though. Nobody can stay immersed forever. Eventually everyone wakes up from their digital slumber and realizes that they've spent years playing a game that has given them no true values. There are always fun aspects, I could never claim otherwise, but when you realize the loss that you have taken by not socializing with your normal RL social structure than you know that you have been cheated.

The games are meant to give occasional enjoyment, but they condemn those that don't spend countless hours reaching for the moon only to be informed of how far off they are. So given the option to give up or press on, the human psyche is given an ultimatum. Fail and let those that you have met in the digital world know of your failure to reach as high as they or press on in hopes that with time you will grow the extra few inches you seem to be missing to finally feel contentedly complete.

I normally don't do this except in jest, but I have a bible verse for the situation.

"When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." ‑ 1 Corinthians 13:11

Bottom line, sometimes its hard for people to grow up. It isn't bad to want to play a game, but sometimes it is best to put it away.

I'm proud of you my brother. Well done.
J1NX
J1NX
Administrator
Administrator

Finally Finished... 6
Number of posts : 2407
Experience : 15041
Rep : 10

Character sheet
Name: J1NX
Primary Weapon: Technomancy
Power Level:
Finally Finished... Left_bar_bleue10/10Finally Finished... Empty_bar_bleue  (10/10)

Back to top Go down

Post by 0pp0siti0n Tue 27 Jan 2009, 3:20 pm

Very touching Sir.
0pp0siti0n
0pp0siti0n
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Finally Finished... 6

Character sheet
Primary Weapon:
Power Level:
Finally Finished... Left_bar_bleue5/99Finally Finished... Empty_bar_bleue  (5/99)

Back to top Go down

Post by Alcatraz Tue 27 Jan 2009, 3:41 pm

J1NX wrote:

I'm proud of you my brother. Well done.

<3. I need I'd get it eventually.
Alcatraz
Alcatraz
Digital God
Digital God

Finally Finished... 6

Character sheet
Primary Weapon:
Power Level:

Back to top Go down

Post by 0pp0siti0n Tue 27 Jan 2009, 5:18 pm

Heh, just thought this, Blizzard needs to add a new achievment. "Quit WoW". The kicker is, you have to start playing again to get it.
0pp0siti0n
0pp0siti0n
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Finally Finished... 6

Character sheet
Primary Weapon:
Power Level:

Back to top Go down

Post by scaramunga Tue 27 Jan 2009, 5:27 pm

I admire your dogged determination to reach a new found apex of maturity.

----------
Finally Finished... Manhoo10

----------
In all seriousness, good luck and may this expedite the arrival of Ragnarok.
scaramunga
scaramunga
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Finally Finished... 6
Number of posts : 286
Experience : 12017
Rep : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Alcatraz Tue 27 Jan 2009, 5:30 pm

Thanks for the support doodz, it means alot to me.
Alcatraz
Alcatraz
Digital God
Digital God

Finally Finished... 6

Character sheet
Primary Weapon:
Power Level:

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Kitsune Tue 27 Jan 2009, 7:31 pm

see you on the flip side mother fucker
Darth_Kitsune
Darth_Kitsune
Digital God
Digital God

Finally Finished... 6
Number of posts : 1045
Experience : 13332
Rep : 4

Character sheet
Name: Emerius Krayvan
Primary Weapon: Dual Pistols - Fortitudo and Iustitia
Power Level:
Finally Finished... Left_bar_bleue10/10Finally Finished... Empty_bar_bleue  (10/10)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Jan 2009, 3:53 am

Self discipline is a good thing to have sir, nicely done.

P.S. This is by far the best thing I've read all day:
Alcatraz wrote:My head, a boulder, its power, a lightning strike.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Alcatraz Wed 28 Jan 2009, 11:50 am

Sweetbrick wrote:Self discipline is a good thing to have sir, nicely done.

P.S. This is by far the best thing I've read all day:
Alcatraz wrote:My head, a boulder, its power, a lightning strike.

Well, considering you posted that at almost 4 a.m., I would doubt you had heard too many great things so far that day. Still though, thanks doodz0rz srsly, meAnz aye l04 to me.

Seriously my fine sir, this truly means quite a bit to my self esteem and feelings. Thank you.
Alcatraz
Alcatraz
Digital God
Digital God

Finally Finished... 6

Character sheet
Primary Weapon:
Power Level:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down