Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Computers....and the headaches that come with them.

4 posters

Go down

Computers....and the headaches that come with them. Empty Computers....and the headaches that come with them.

Post by J1NX Sun 04 Jan 2009, 4:32 pm

Ok, so as most of you are aware, for Christmas I bought a ton of computer parts with the intent to build a massive upgrade to my current setup. The new PC would be shiny and filled with awesome to the point that awesome itself would be redefined.

Yesterday I sat down and actually assembled the new rig and then took the rest of the night off, feeling that I would finish installing and tweaking today. This however was where the train derailed.

When I connect my computer all parts seem to power on fine, but the video card and one of the fans connected directly to the motherboard. I tried a different port on the board for the fan and still nothing. I have decided that I will attempt to rewire the machine either tomorrow or tuesday in my off time to check and see if that helps my fan problem.

Still daunting though is what could be the problem with the video card. The fan on it moves, which tells me it is recieving power, but it displays no picture. I have two diagnoses that may be the root of the problem.

1) My powersupply is not powerful enough to support the whole system (something I was afraid of)

2) My video card is DOA and needs to be returned for a replacement.

I plan to take the machine up to the office tomorrow and see if I can figure it out, but I don't know of a test I can perform at the moment to give me the info I need.

I will keep you updated.

Also, I will be needing a name for my new machine. The first 3 submissions will become the new poll and while I am making the machine breathe, you the gamers can decide.

-J

Possible Computer Names

-Bellerophon
-Aelous
-

Last edited by J1NX on Mon 05 Jan 2009, 5:44 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Name Submission)
J1NX
J1NX
Administrator
Administrator

Computers....and the headaches that come with them. 6
Number of posts : 2407
Experience : 15031
Rep : 10

Character sheet
Name: J1NX
Primary Weapon: Technomancy
Power Level:
Computers....and the headaches that come with them. Left_bar_bleue10/10Computers....and the headaches that come with them. Empty_bar_bleue  (10/10)

Back to top Go down

Computers....and the headaches that come with them. Empty Re: Computers....and the headaches that come with them.

Post by 0pp0siti0n Sun 04 Jan 2009, 4:46 pm

I feel your pain, when my $300 video card didn't work in my system. We require a list of your new gear sir.

Also, name it Bellerophon, after captain Tornado Shanks. Also, was the name of one of the great mythical greek heroes before the coming of Heracles.
0pp0siti0n
0pp0siti0n
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Number of posts : 645
Experience : 12178
Rep : 1

Character sheet
Name: Eden
Primary Weapon:
Power Level:
Computers....and the headaches that come with them. Left_bar_bleue5/99Computers....and the headaches that come with them. Empty_bar_bleue  (5/99)

Back to top Go down

Computers....and the headaches that come with them. Empty Re: Computers....and the headaches that come with them.

Post by Alcatraz Mon 05 Jan 2009, 11:40 am

My submission: Aelous

God of speed and swiftness in greek culture. Figure it fits for such an amazing comp ~_^
Alcatraz
Alcatraz
Digital God
Digital God

Number of posts : 1477
Experience : 13000
Rep : 8

Character sheet
Name: Mordrid Grey
Primary Weapon:
Power Level:
Computers....and the headaches that come with them. Left_bar_bleue27/99Computers....and the headaches that come with them. Empty_bar_bleue  (27/99)

Back to top Go down

Post by J1NX Sat 24 Jan 2009, 7:04 pm

For those of you that have been wondering where I've been I want to let you know the score.

Mind you....this gets kind of nerdy.

Sunday night (1/18/09) I attempted to setup an FTP for me to host all of the necessary files for TGB.com. As part of the setup it involved me generating an external DNS address from somewhere other than my ISP. I followed the instructions and everything seemed to be configuring just fine. The last step on the way to completion was to reboot the computer and power cycle the router and modem. After doing that I was left with a functional network, but no functioning DNS addresses and no access to the internet.

I did all of the troubleshooting I could figure and still got nothing. I consulted with the network admin from work and he gave me a network card and software to check and make sure I didn't blow the ports on my board.

Good news: Board is intact.
Bad news: Still no signs of what caused it.

Now being at the end of my proverbial rope I contacted Suddenlink and spoke with a pair of techs that were a mixture of helpful and comical, which due to the fact that I had previously blown off most of my hatred days before while doing my own troubleshooting was a welcome addition.

We tried a bunch of different things and finally 3 hours later, I am back online. It turns out that the modem had been sent a corrupt config file from suddenlink somewhere along the lines. We were able to remove and resend a working file and I was fixed.

Final verdict, talk as much shit as you might about suddenlink, but their tech support has a few good people after all. I only wish that I had called them before I reset my router and lost all of my configurations.

Oh well. Once a tech always a tech.

Good to be back ya'll!
J1NX
J1NX
Administrator
Administrator

Character sheet
Power Level:
Computers....and the headaches that come with them. Left_bar_bleue10/10Computers....and the headaches that come with them. Empty_bar_bleue  (10/10)

Back to top Go down

Post by 0pp0siti0n Sat 24 Jan 2009, 7:58 pm

SuddenLink? Good service? Well blow me down.
0pp0siti0n
0pp0siti0n
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Character sheet
Primary Weapon:
Power Level:
Computers....and the headaches that come with them. Left_bar_bleue5/99Computers....and the headaches that come with them. Empty_bar_bleue  (5/99)

Back to top Go down

Post by 0pp0siti0n Sun 25 Jan 2009, 7:29 pm

0pp0siti0n
0pp0siti0n
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Character sheet
Primary Weapon:
Power Level:

Back to top Go down

Post by J1NX Thu 12 Feb 2009, 3:44 pm

Ok so update to what happened with my Christmas present.

The motherboard ended up having problems and wouldn't work, so I sent it back to Newegg to get a replacement.

The replacement arrived on wednesday and I have yet to install it. Hopefully everything should go well. If all goes to plan I should have a working computer by the end of the weekend.

......on a related note it will apparently be named Faust.
J1NX
J1NX
Administrator
Administrator

Character sheet
Power Level:

Back to top Go down

Post by HematiteBones Fri 13 Feb 2009, 8:09 am

J1NX wrote:Ok so update to what happened with my Christmas present.

The motherboard ended up having problems and wouldn't work, so I sent it back to Newegg to get a replacement.

The replacement arrived on wednesday and I have yet to install it. Hopefully everything should go well. If all goes to plan I should have a working computer by the end of the weekend.

......on a related note it will apparently be named Faust.

Yay Faust! I dedicate to you this Goethe quote....

Happy is he who has the pure truth in him.
He will regret no sacrifice that keeps it.
HematiteBones
HematiteBones
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Number of posts : 219
Experience : 11788
Rep : 0

Character sheet
Name: Moyra Nelson
Primary Weapon:
Power Level:
Computers....and the headaches that come with them. Left_bar_bleue4/99Computers....and the headaches that come with them. Empty_bar_bleue  (4/99)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum