Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Similar topics

The Do List

Go down

The Do List Empty The Do List

Post by J1NX Thu 31 Jul 2008, 9:28 am

DO

CHECK YOUR SPELLING AND GRAMMAR:

Incorrect spelling is annoying and can really ruin the flow of the RP. Run your post through spell check or just copy/paste it into Microsoft Word. It’s not hard to fix bad spelling. This also means using proper punctuation and quotes to show speech. Occasional mistakes are ok, but if it makes reading or understanding your post difficult, then there’s a problem. God I hope I didn’t spell anything wrong in this.

BE ORIGINAL:

You might think it's incredibly original and unique to have a character who happens to be skilled with every weapon known to man kind and is a fallen angel seeking vengeance, etc, etc. Or an orphan who seeks revenge because his parents were murdered. Or someone who lived on the streets and soon became the toughest street fighter/gang leader who can beat anyone. ALL OF THESE THINGS ARE BAD. If you can do something like this in a TOTALLY new and unique way, go for it, but 9 times out of 10, it just winds up being a played out, done to death character, so don’t even try. Using other characters as a base or starting point is not a bad idea, but develop your new character into something no one has ever seen or heard of before.

BE DESCRIPTIVE:

This will nearly always help you improve your role-playing skills. Just say exactly what you imagine in your mind about your character and or the things around the other players. Just like drawing a picture of a person, a stick figure does not always look good. Just say everything you imagine, and then you can paint the same picture for others to see, that is good role-playing. Role-playing has two main parts to it: Speech and Action. (Sometimes you need to describe a third part, Emotion, but usually you only need to do that once and your following posts stay in the same mood, if they don’t however, describe it again. And even if your character’s emotions remain the same, it’s still good to continually express it through either Action or Speech.) In your description, be as detailed as you can in both areas, this is especially true when you write your first post (intro) in a thread. And yes, you must have both in every post (unless you’re a mime). This also comes into play when you talk about things like spells. Naming the spell is not enough; not everyone knows what you’re talking about, so describe what the spell does.

WORK WITH OTHER PLAYERS:

This means work with what the other people say. As long as they’re not breaking the rules, go with what they say. Play a long, go with the flow, roll with the punches, whatever you want to call it, it’s the same. Agree with them. I don’t mean let someone else control/run your character, I just mean work together to build the story and keep it moving.

SPEAK IN THIRD PERSON:

This means don’t speak in first person. Simple. Say “he” instead of “I”. The person reading your post isn’t the one doing the action, so when they read what you wrote, it shouldn’t seem like it. Read this out loud: I kicked the box. Who kicked the box? You did. This is what I (talking about me now, the author, keep up) mean. Also, speak in the past tense. This isn't really a strict rule but it helps. First of all, it's better to have everyone writing in the same tense, just for basic the basic flow of the thing. And why past tense instead of present tense? Because being part of an RPG means you're basically writing a story, and stories are (for the most part) written in past tense. It's just common practice.

FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS:

Any rules that the creator (of the RP, duh) says, follow them. And don’t act in a way that doesn’t fit the general world/tone/atmosphere/mood of the thread. This includes things like not pulling out a laser in a medieval themed RP, not cursing or describing “adult” situations if there is no reason to (or are asked not to), and generally playing in a way that helps maintain the world of the RP.

KEEP THE PLACE CLEAN:

Keep OOC posts to a minimum and never post spam. This is just for cleanliness and order. If you can, PM someone if you need to talk to them and don’t have OOC fights.
    J1NX
    J1NX
    Administrator
    Administrator

The Do List 6
    Number of posts : 2407
    Experience : 14953
    Rep : 10

Character sheet
    Name: J1NX
    Primary Weapon: Technomancy
    Power Level:
    The Do List Left_bar_bleue10/10The Do List Empty_bar_bleue  (10/10)

Back to top Go down